The 2019 Organic Survey is a census of all known U.S. farms and ranches with certified organic production in 2019, as well as those transitioning into organic production, and the results show that business is booming!
Here are just a few of the figures:
- Livestock and poultry products: $2.48 billion, up 12 percent
- Vegetables: $2.08 billion, up 27 percent
- Fruits, tree nuts, and berries: $2.02 billion, up 44 percent
- Livestock and Poultry: $1.66 billion, up 44 percent
- Field Crops: $1.18 billion, up 55 percent
In response, the Organic Trade Association noted that “the numbers show that organic acreage is still less than 1% of our total farmland. This points to a real need for more technical, risk management and financial support for farmers wanting to transition to organic. USDA’s data bears out the continued – and urgent – need for greater support from the government to allow organic to continue its advancement.”
It remains to be seen what impact, if any, Covid-19 has had on the organic market in 2020.
For more information, click the button:
Cover Photo Credit: Shutterbug75 (Pixabay.com)